Downloadable Press kit and Media Links
Downloadable Press Kit (includes press photos, bios, media and One sheet)
The YYScene Album Premiere
High Plains BeatRoute Article
The Gauntlet High Plains Article
Waiting Video Premiere
Crooked Spies are a four piece rock band from Calgary, AB formed in the spring of 2014. Fronted by brothers Dylan and Steven Evanik, the group spans the entire spectrum of the genre. Influenced heavily by the garage rock revival and classic rock, they adhere to a raw & natural, "passion vs. fashion" approach to the art form.
Having re-emerged with their sophomore album, High Plains, it was important for these visceral aspects of their live performance to be conveyed to listeners. Clearly taking pride in the raw and poetic aspects of their songs, High Plains is a “high energy piece of work”, with “an upbeat and charged collection of tracks” (The Gauntlet). More subtly the record reflects a long distance love affair to music.
Pieced together through late night phone calls, voice memos and messy software, the album was constructed with members in Vancouver and Calgary throughout the entirety of the process. “ I think the distance between us helped shaped the record in a more organic and creative way. We couldn’t be in a rush to finish, giving us the time to make a cohesive but diverse piece of work,” says Dylan.
Though separated for the past two years the progress has yet to subside with the opportunity to support such acts as Danko Jones, We Hunt Buffalo, The Motorleague, Bend Sinister, High Kicks, Belvedere, The Sumner Brothers and Whitey Houston. The gents are set to tour the newly released album with an active winter and spring which includes Big Winter Classic this January supporting the likes of Less Than Jake, Red Fang, Metz and many more.
- Sophomore full Length Album “High Plains” released Dec 15th, 2017
- "Powered by the classic elements of rock and roll and combining them with heavy, melodic beats and dark, brooding vocals; it’s the bluesy backbone throughout their music that keeps Crooked Spies’ sound complimentary regardless of the eclectic twists their style takes" - BeatRoute (AB)
- "The album’s energy is undeniable, providing listeners with an upbeat and charged collection of tracks that stay fresh with each listen" - The Gauntlet
-“Waiting”, The first single released from High Plains premiered through BeatRoute with an accompanying music video
- The album was premiered by Mike Bell and The YYScene
- A music video for ”Raised by Wolves” To be released January 2018
- 30+ Western Canadian shows in 2017 including support for Danko Jones, The MotorLeauge, We Hunt Buffalo, The Penske file, Bend Sinister and High Kicks
- Radio play on X92.9, CJSW, and the Peak 95.3 (R.I.P.) including feature interviews & on air performances for High Plains and “Where you’ll Go” from the debut album Treason
- 500 physical copies of Treason sold with 12,000+ streams across platforms
- Western Canadian Tour for the winter/spring of 2018 to include Vancouver, Kelowna, Golden, Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Big Winter Classic and CMW
Crooked Spies are:
Dylan Evanik - Lead vocals, Guitar
Steven Evanik - Lead guitars, Vocals
Aaron Samson - Bass
Mark Lawlor - Drums